So far my Month of Meals experiment is going well. I am really loving the fact that everything is already planned out. It has made the weekly grocery shopping trip much easier. Instead of scrambling around on a Friday morning trying to figure out what to cook I just look over the plan and write down the ingredients that I need. I keep a list of all the stuff we normally need in a regular week on my Wegmans app, so all I have to do is look it over and check off anything we don’t need. (By the way, I’m not paid anything to promote Wegmans, I’m just a regular Rochesterian–we love Wegmans!)
I did want to note that I have been flexible with following the monthly meal plan. I have swapped a few meals between weeks, and one night my husband really wanted Indian takeout, so we postponed the planned meal for that day. Having this monthly plan isn’t supposed to feel restrictive, actually it should be the opposite. It’s kind of like traveling–you want to have a general itinerary but you don’t want to plan your vacation down to every minute of every day. I like having my plan there like a safety net, so the never-ending question of “what are we having for dinner?” doesn’t feel quite so burdensome.
- 2 medium red potatoes
- 4 fully cooked chorizo sausages, cut into small chunks
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- small handful cilantro, chopped (you can substitute parsley for this if you are cilantro-averse like my dad)
- 12 hard taco shells
- shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado
- salt & pepper
- jalapeno hot sauce
- Wash the potatoes & prick with a fork multiple times. Place the potatoes on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, flip over, and microwave an additional 2-3 minutes. (Potatoes should be cooked through, but not mushy). Cut the potatoes into small chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the potato & chorizo chunks and saute until golden on most sides (don’t stir too often, letting the chunks sit for a bit allows them to develop some golden color). Turn off the heat, add the lemon juice & cilantro and stir to combine. Season with salt & pepper.
- Heat the taco shells in the oven according to the package instructions. Slice the avocado and season with a bit of salt.
- Serve the chorizo-potato mixture in the warmed taco shells with shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, sliced avocado, and jalapeno hot sauce.
Time: 25 minutes