I’ve been trying to come up with a name for this drink for awhile. I really wanted to have the word “turkey” in the title (since it is made with Wild Turkey bourbon) so that this would make more sense as a pre-Thanksgiving post. Unfortunately my pun-making skills seem to be on the fritz. Yesterday my internet took a vacation too, so I’m later than anticipated with this recipe.
Even though I’m a day late and a pun short, I think this cocktail makes up for it. Are you starting to feel the holiday stress too? Pour yourself one of these, take a deep breath, and try to live in the moment. That’s my plan.
Wild Apple Old Fashioned (adapted from a classic Old Fashioned in American Bar by Charles Schumann)
1. Place a sugar cube in a short (also called old fashioned) glass. Add drops of Angostura bitters until the sugar cube is saturated.
2. Use a cinnamon stick to crush the sugar cube.
3. Add 2 ounces of Wild Turkey bourbon and 2 ounces of apple cider. Stir with the cinnamon stick to dissolve the sugar.
4. Add ice cubes (leave a little room for the club soda that will be added in the next step).
5. Fill with club soda. Stir gently with the cinnamon stick.
6. At this point you can choose to garnish with an apple slice if you’re feeling fancy. I used a straw to punch a hole in the apple slice and then stuck it on the cinnamon stick.
7. Top with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. (Don’t skip this step–it adds flavor, not just a garnish.)