This time of year you see a lot of “healthy” recipes. Everyone is on a diet. Every commercial on TV is for some new-fangled weight-loss or exercise program. And all the headlines make it seem like we all need to jump on the “eat healthy” bandwagon.
Ugh. Is anyone else out there as sick of it as me?
Here’s the thing–I think we do a big disservice to ourselves to put food into categories like “healthy” and “unhealthy.” Making a certain food completely taboo gives it too much power. We spend too much time thinking about all the things we shouldn’t be eating, instead of paying attention to how our food tastes and enjoying what we actually are eating. Any food–even a dieter’s favorite like carrots–eaten to excess is not good for you. (Don’t believe me? Read this. You don’t want to end up looking like these guys!)
I made this recipe because it looked delicious and it was National Popcorn Day, so I figured why not? Parmesan and cauliflower seem to be made for each other, which I never knew until I tried it once. The cauliflower was nicely roasted–soft enough to not be raw, but still with a little bit of crunch to it. My whole family really enjoyed it, which I think is what really makes this recipe a winner.
Cauliflower Popcorn (adapted from Wegmans Menu magazine)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Toss the cauliflower in a large bowl with the olive oil. Spread out on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt & pepper.
- Roast for 8 minutes. Turn cauliflower over. Roast for an additional 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle cauliflower with cheese.
Time: 20 minutes